Twitter has definitely become the place to be for anyone wanting to create a presence on the web. So with this in mind, we have put together 30 links to great Twitter tutorials, useful tips, hints and tools from around the web.
There are so many sites now that provide excellent information and advice for using Twitter effectively so it was actually difficult to choose what to include. But we think we have found some of the best to help both those new to Twitter and those that have been around for some time.
If you have any others you think could be added then leave a comment below and we’ll take a look.
1. The Twitter Tutorial – if you have no idea what Twitter is or if you do you’re still not sure what it all really means then this is the tutorial for you. It should only take you about 5 minutes to go through this slideshow. I would have to say that this is one of the best little tutorials I have seen on the subject. Highly recommended.
2. How to Set Up a Twitter Account – another useful piece of information for those that are new to Twitter. This one includes both a video and written instructions.
3. How to Set Up Multiple Twitter Accounts with One Email Address – We have a number of Twitter accounts all using different email addresses we set up in Gmail and Yahoo. I wish I had found this post before setting them up – it would have saved a heap of time.
4. Twitter in Plain English – A quick video to give you the basics of Twitter.
How to Get More Followers
5. 5 Tips to Grow Your Twitter Presence – Another Problogger post
6. How to Grow Your Follower Numbers to Over 10,000 In a Week – See how Sitepoint gathered 10,000 followers in a week.
7. 7 Ways to Be Worth Following on Twitter – A few basics to get yourself in a good position to start attracting followers.
8. 6 Tips for Using Your Twitter Profile to Get New Followers – Tips for customizing your profile in order to attract more followers.
How to Be a Success on Twitter
9. 10 Traits of Effective Twitter Users – An analysis of successful Twitter users.
10. 8 Sure Fire Ways to Tick off The Twitterverse – How not to be a success on Twitter.
11. How to Automatically Add Your Blog Posts to Twitter Using Twitter Feed – This is one I wrote.
Tips and Hints
12. 50 Great Twitter Tips and Secrets – A good comprehensive list of Twitter tips and hints.
13. 35 Twitter Tips from 35 Twitter Users – An old post by Problogger but still highly relevant.
14. Top 10 Twitter Tips for Beginners – Some of these are not just for beginners.
15. 8 Tips for Building a Strong Presence on Twitter – Some interesing tips here.
16. 55 Twitter Tips – Another comprehensive list of tips and hints.
17. 9 Advanced Twitter Tips – Some excellent tips here – worth reading.
18. 100 Serious Twitter Tips for Academics – Tips for instructors and students…and worth reading even if you aren’t an academic.
19. 137 Small Business Twitter Tips – You’ll need to click on the link to a pdf to view them…it’s worth it.
20. Is the Tweetie 2 Application Worth Buying? – Tweetie 2 is an application for the iPhone/iPod Touch. This is my review of the application.
21. What Twitter Application is Right for You – A great post about the variety of different applications available for Twitter including desktop applications and iPhone/iPod Touch, Blackberry and other mobile applications
Twitter Themes and Backgrounds
22. Twitter Background Gallery – Has over 1500 Twitter backgrounds as I write this post.
23. 10 Beautiful Customizable Photoshop Twitter Background Templates – I put together a list of customizable Photoshop templates. You obviously need Photoshop for these but it is worth the effort as you will have your own (almost unique) Twitter background.
24. TwitRounds – New backgrounds added daily.
25. 40 Free Artistic Twitter Backgrounds – A beautiful list of Twitter backgrounds.
26. Twitter How-To Design and Best Practice – If you are thinking of creating your own Twitter background this is a great place to start.
27. Create a Custom Twitter Background the Right Way – Another post that provides some tips on creating a Twitter background the right way.
Twitter Plugins, Tools and Widgets
28. 35 Awesome Twitter Plugins for WordPress – An excellent list to start with by W3Mag.
29. 10 Best Twitter Tools, Plugins, Widgets for WordPress – A nice list if you are using WordPress.
30. Must Have Twitter Plugins for Twitter Fans – Another list of plugins for WordPress.
31. Tweet Adder – I know we have reached 30 but there is always going to be one more to add. Tweet Adder allows you to run Twitter on autopilot or at least reduce some of the regular tasks you might want to perform. It’s not free but well worth the money.
If you have any others, please let us know in the comments below.
For most of the day today one of the trending topics on Twitter has been Tweetie 2 so since I had no idea what it was and I was just a little curious, I clicked on the link to see what the fuss was about.
Well I’m glad I did because I found out that it is an iPhone or iPod Touch application that you can use to access Twitter and do all the things you normally do on Twitter on your iPhone or iPod Touch.
This application isnt free and for me being in Australia it cost $3.99AUD…not a huge amount of money but when you can get other Twitter applications for free you usually think twice before spending. However, the ratings for it looked really good so I decided to take the plunge.
I have only been using it for about 30 minutes and have had a lot of fun so far. This application has so many features that some of the other Twitter applications lack like:
As I said, I’ve only been using it for about half a hour now but I can definitely recommend this great little app if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch.
UPDATE: Since yesterday I have been using this application quite extensivley and I have to say that I am starting to prefer using my iPod Touch to access Twitter over my desktop computer. In the past, I had used other Twitter applications on my iPod Touch but only used them for when I wasn’t at my computer as although they did the job, they just weren’t as easy to work with as Tweetie 2.
But my absolute favorite part of Tweetie 2 is the ability to swap seemlessly between multiple accounts. I know I have already mentioned it above but anyone who has multiple Twitter accounts will understand how messy it can getting logging in and out of different accounts.
Other features include:
I have to say that I am loving it.
If you have Tweetie 2 tell us your experiences or if you have a question leave a comment below. We answer most comments left on our blog.