For most of the day today one of the trending topics on Twitter has been Tweetie 2 so since I had no idea what it was and I was just a little curious, I clicked on the link to see what the fuss was about.
Well I’m glad I did because I found out that it is an iPhone or iPod Touch application that you can use to access Twitter and do all the things you normally do on Twitter on your iPhone or iPod Touch.
This application isnt free and for me being in Australia it cost $3.99AUD…not a huge amount of money but when you can get other Twitter applications for free you usually think twice before spending. However, the ratings for it looked really good so I decided to take the plunge.
I have only been using it for about 30 minutes and have had a lot of fun so far. This application has so many features that some of the other Twitter applications lack like:
- The ability to handle multiple accounts – I love this…I have quite a few accounts and it makes it so easy to get into each one without having to open a new window and enter passwords. In fact, the accounts are all listed on one page (once you enter them in the first time) and it is just a matter of touching the account with your finger to get into it…so easy!
- An easy to use retweet option – this is so much easier than using twitter itself which doesn’t actually have a retweet option. It’s just a matter of finding the tweet you like and selecting a retweet button.
- There is also a place to draft your tweets and save until later to post.
- You can also update your profile via Tweetie 2.
- There is an offline mode but I haven’t gotten into that yet so not sure what is involved.
- And I just found out that it has the ability to reveal the short urls – in other words you can see the full original url and not just the shortened url.
As I said, I’ve only been using it for about half a hour now but I can definitely recommend this great little app if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch.
UPDATE: Since yesterday I have been using this application quite extensivley and I have to say that I am starting to prefer using my iPod Touch to access Twitter over my desktop computer. In the past, I had used other Twitter applications on my iPod Touch but only used them for when I wasn’t at my computer as although they did the job, they just weren’t as easy to work with as Tweetie 2.
But my absolute favorite part of Tweetie 2 is the ability to swap seemlessly between multiple accounts. I know I have already mentioned it above but anyone who has multiple Twitter accounts will understand how messy it can getting logging in and out of different accounts.
Other features include:
- the ability to link twitter accounts to your Address Book contacts
- the ability to save searches
- a translation facility to translate tweets
- the ability to add photos and video you have on your iPhone/iPod Touch
- a url shortener
I have to say that I am loving it.
If you have Tweetie 2 tell us your experiences or if you have a question leave a comment below. We answer most comments left on our blog.